Sunday, August 11, 2013

Take Off


When I was about six months old, I boarded a plane to Ankara, Turkey. Since then, I have not stayed away from an aircraft for long. Traveling inspires me. By exploring new places, I have learned about the mixing of the waters in the Amazon, the differences between Hindu and Buddhist temples, and Turkey’s role in Europe and the Middle East. With every border crossing and time zone change, I satiate and further increase my curiosity not only about our world, but also about people’s perceptions and various ways of interacting with their surroundings and others.

My exposure to different realities has resulted in a runaway imagination. As a child, I once saw an alien from "Spice World" floating among the clouds during one of my airborne trips. It creeped me out because it wasn’t moving at all. Incidentally, I had recently reenacted the “Spice Up Your Life” dance in second grade with some friends. I was Posh.

Like many, I have often heard the saying that women are from Venus. Sometimes, I feel like a planet with a very high albedo, reflecting to the point that I build up a lot of superfluous energy. Writing is my way of letting out the excess steam so I can achieve some semblance of stability. Although in the end, change is inevitable.

Memory can be a fickle thing, as one experience overrides the next. One day, I stopped to think and realized that I have been to eight countries. I have also written quite a bit, dabbling in both prose and poetry. My most recent venture is in haikus.

So, for now, I will leave you with this:

Up above I go
Tiny beings live below
Solving big problems

The seat belt sign has switched on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.